Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Camembert Penne

My friend Sam (somewhat visible in the background) has quite the tedious nine to five job, so I offered to prepare a gourmet meal for him and myself yesterday evening. The real reason I wanted to make dinner was because I was introduced to an exquisitely creamy and subtle rind of Camembert this past weekend, and I needed an excuse to eat it again.

Let me give some background on Camembert...

It looks like brie, but tastes nothing like it. Brie has the same creamy quality as Camembert, but it also has a certain kick or aftertaste that is quite the acquired taste. Because of its creaminess, Camembert is most often served with a nice plump french baguette or some tangy dried fruit. Knowing this, I still decided to experiment with the use of Camembert in a pasta dish. According to Google, I'm the only person who has ever tried to complete such a feat. I find this unusual, considering the amazing dish the combination of pasta, camembert, and some tasty veggies produces.

This recipe makes enough for four people (or two really hungry students).

3/4 box of penne pasta (cooked al dente!)
1 can artichoke hearts in water
2 cups chopped mushrooms
1/2 red onion
1 large garlic clove
2 cups frozen peas (still frozen!)
700g Camembert Cheese, extra creamy, with the rind removed
salt and pepper to season
I cup of freshly grated parmesan (go for the block. it's worth it!)

Start off by slowly sauteeing the onions and garlic. When the onions become soft and translucent, add the mushrooms. You should be boiling your water right about now.
When the mushrooms appear 75% cooked, add artichokes (chopped roughly). I like to add salt at this point. Keep on medium heat for about 5 minutes and then turn it off.
Chop the cheese into cubes about the size of an inch. Add them to the pan and mix together well. The Camembert will turn into an oozy film that covers the veggies. This is delicious. Embrace it.

When the pasta is al dente, toss it in a large bowl with the veggie/cheese mixture. Make sure to mix well, coating each piece of penne with the cheesy goodness.
Add the frozen peas. They are so small that they will defrost almost immediately.
Serve warm with a sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan.
Enjoy!

No comments: